20070221

Peace reigns

Well... things remain busy right now. It is hard to keep my thoughts straight. Speaking as a troop I can say that voting on "non-binding" resolutions do not support the troops. I know the motivation is our ultimate well being (i.e. wanting to bring them home ealier) but it does not help the morale or wellfare of the troops. The troop in the field sees that as a lack of support. (S)He sees that as an undermining of what they are working for. Such public displays of dissention actually motivate those seeking to harm them. To tell a soldier how much you disapprove of the very thing they are getting ready to head into is not helpful. A soldier/sailor/airman heading into such situations needs to keep their head on striaght - 100% focused on the tasks before them. A distracted or disheartened soldier is either a dead soldier, or a ineffective one. When I sent out an e-mail to friends and family requesting prayers for what may be before me - it was not the most helpful thing to receive an e-mail lecturing me on politics and their personal view of the war. All it did was undermine my focus. I fully support this person's point of view in that they are entitled to their opinion. But I am not really in a position to change policies. I cannot just say wuch-and-such and make things happen. I am in the position that I am being told to do (or might be told to do) certain things that obviously this person disagrees with. There is not a king, president, shiek, etc. that was not allowed by God. (Psalm 148, Daniel 4) There is time for debate. There is room for disagreement. It is a part of what America is founded on. But there are times when it is used of the enemy to prevent good things from happening. To be honest I am not sure of the why's and wherefor's on when America has done what it's done. But what has been done cannot be undone. We need to focus on moving forward and doing the best that we can for those involved. If we can focus on that the end result will be better for all involved. The end result will come about more quickly. Then, once the troops are out of harm's way - then is the time to be expressive against the policies. I realized I've rambled on long enough. And I am sure many will not agree with me. I just ask that those who do read realize that their perception and ideas may not be the right ones either. Only God knows the end from the beginning. I know God does not desire war, but ever since sin entered the world, the ideal is no longer possible until our Savior's return. We will trip over our (man's) sin everytime. Pride, selfishness, jealousy. Ecclessiasties 3 puts it pretty well:
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.
When I stand before God I know there will be a great many things that I believed fervantly - but will be mistaken about. But when I do stand there I want my heart to be pure. I want to run the race well. I want to hear "Well done".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh..... So are you guys looking at.... some of this "surgey" stuff? Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Know that you and your family have all of my prayers and support, and please let your wife know that if she needs a 'military wife type' to vent to, I'll volunteer.

samurai said...

Thank you very, very much Val. Right now we are not certain of anything. Just a lot of maybes.