20060126

When the Cat is Away, the Mice will play

Well my manager took his son to the Car show in Washington D.C. today so I have been left in charge. But that is not really the reason for my blog today. I don't really get to 'play' as much when the boss takes a day off. It's actually more work for me. The actual purpose of my blog today is to post a testimony to God's faithfulness in providing me a job where I am today. Actually my whole career is a testimony so I will give an abreviated Reader's Digest version up to where I met my current supervisor and go then expand as I feel led. I got into IT quiet by accident. I was delivering pizzas to make money until I could get enrolled in college when a friend of my wife (who was also a bride's maid at our wedding) told me of a job opening where she worked. The 'qualifications' were pretty minimal - 'can you use a mouse?' 'Give me some examples of troubleshooting.' etc. Although I was not their first choice God still provided and a second position opened up and I was hired. They tought me everything. Even sending me to out of town schools. Well, as my wife and I decided we were going to go ahead and have children I started evening classes to learn Novel - which is funny since I have onoy used it sparingly in the 10+ years since I took those classes. I traveled 50+ miles one way, twice a week, but it paid off because when I interviewed with my current employer it helped me get the job. And then I did all of my current learning OJT - well, at least until funds starting drying up. But my employer sent me to schools, and the upper level engineers were so easy to work with and accessable (back then they were) I just picked things up as I went along. Well, 9/11 happened and eventually my National Guard unit was called up to active duty in the Spring of 2002. By God's grace I was only 50 miles from home (although I was not allowed to live at home, I could get home once or twice a month for a few days at a time) and I transitioned back into being a full time civilian in April of 2003. Unfortunately upon my return I found out that my employer had been through not 1 or 2, but 3 rounds of lay-offs! Although my job was secure (probably because of my NG status) I learned that my position had been moved to the 3-11 PM shift. I had just spent over a year away form my children (one of whom was only 4 months old when I left) and now I was going to have to be away from them Monday through Friday! I was not happy, but I was met with indeifference. I was given 30 days to find another position until I was forced onto my new schedule. In steps God... I am striking out in trying to find another job. I've even expanded it to looking in other states, etc. nothing. One day I am having issues with new software that is being installed on my work laptop computer. The PC tech is in my cube working on it when my future boss comes up. He's just been rehired after being layed off for a few months and needs his old laptop brought up to date. While the tech is going over our machines we get to talking. It turns out he is being assigned to a new contract that will be doing the same thing for the same people I used to work for! He is very interested in bringing me on board. Only one hitch... I end up having to take a 2 paygrade reduction in may - a net loss of 10% of my previous income. More if I was to take into account the shift differential I would have made. When I approached my previous manager with the notification of this transfer they just couldn't get it. Why did I want to take such a step backwards?!? But God has used it mightily. I know work less than 10 miles from home. We now have a nice single family home, near many of our friends (especially my wife's friends from college), we are deeply involved in the church (children's ministry, small group leaders, MOPS, and an outreach to families of deployed military members) and such contentment I never expected. Despite having some financial concerns right now, I am confident I am right where God has me and my family. So, I give thanks to God for my career because if I was to try and do this on my own I'd not be anywhere near where I am today. By God's grace and provision I am able to provide for a family of 5 and allow my beloved to stay at home to take care of our little blessings. I have left so much out, but if I were to detail all that God has done and how He has moved in this area you all would be reading for hours. Thank you for reading this far. My verse for today... 1 Timothy 6:11-21 esv But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which he will display at the proper time—he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen. As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called “knowledge,” for by professing it some have swerved from the faith.

No comments: