20060119

Alone in the Dark

Well yesterday I lost power at my home for about 13 hours. It was an interesting experience since the last time I remember personally being impacted by a power outage for any length of time was back in the 70's when I lived in Brooklyn, NY. I think too often we American's feel put out when things like this happen. Like things like this should never happen. It's probably just an over reaction on my part about other people's reaction. Now, I live in a climate where I have hours to react to such things, and I do not have any vital utilities that require contant power, so I can me more lax in my response to such things. For me it was just a matter of making sure all of the surge protectors were turned off, and the thermostates turned down to prevent the 'emergency' heat from kicking on, and moving the groceries from our refridgerator to the garage to keep cold. Other than having to wait until this morning to restart the dishwasher and the washer this morning it was an interesting change of pace. The family spent the night at a friends house while I tended the fireplace at home and took care of the things I mentioned above (as well as a few other things). Once I got everything situated, and i knew the family was secure and settled for the night I was able to do some sudoku puzzles and a little thinking done. It's rare that I get that much time and quiet to myself. I was supposed to have an evening to myself, but with everything going on with the power situation I ended up having to wait until much later. And then everytime I got a chill I had to throw another log on the fire, and after the power restored at around 2:30 this morning I also made rounds around the house to slowly bring the temperature back up to our norm. Life is back to normal - what ever that is. :) Verse for the day: There is none like you among the gods, O Lord,nor are there any works like yours. All the nations you have made shall comeand worship before you, O Lord,and shall glorify your name. For you are great and do wondrous things;you alone are God. Teach me your way, O Lord,that I may walk in your truth;unite my heart to fear your name. I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,and I will glorify your name forever. For great is your steadfast love toward me;you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol. - Psalm 86:8-13 esv

1 comment:

samurai said...

Emergency heat is when the heat pump kicks in an electric element. It makes the electricty use sky rocket!

You guys probably don't use heat pumps. If I had my choice I wouldn't either. Just too expensive to convert the existing system.