20090914

Music Monday - 20090914

In the past i have felt a desire to be more passionate about my God and Savior. I've felt lukewarm for a while about my relationship and pursuit of Christ. Well, let's just say i am 'cooler' than i really wish to be. Due to illness and other reasons the family was not able to make it to church yesterday so i searched for a website that carried sermons from C.J. Mahaney and i found a site called Vimeo. Sovereign Grace Ministries has registered a user name there and have uploaded almost 30 videos of various speakers so i did not narrowly focus on just CJ, but a video titled "Extravagant Devotion" struck a cord with me and i proceeded to watch it on my home PC (with the occasional interuptions, "Daddy, I'm hungry", etc.). Reader, if you have the time i whole heartedly recommend the following video:

As God often does there was a poignant line that struck to the heart of my "dilemma". About 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through CJ says that he is sometimes asked how he is so passionate. This of course made me perk up my ears. His response?
"What do you review and reflect on each day? We all want to feel deeply, but we don’t want to think deeply. There is a relationship between thinking, theologically informed thinking, and feeling."
To my shame i am guilty of allowing my Bible to have dust settle on it. It sits all too often idle on my night stand. It is not dusted off either dusk or dawn. The Bible verse for this sermon is:
It was now two days before the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread. And the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to arrest him by stealth and kill him, for they said, “Not during the feast, lest there be an uproar from the people.” And while he was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, [1] as he was reclining at table, a woman came with an alabaster flask of ointment of pure nard, very costly, and she broke the flask and poured it over his head. There were some who said to themselves indignantly, “Why was the ointment wasted like that? For this ointment could have been sold for more than three hundred denarii [2] and given to the poor.” And they scolded her. But Jesus said, “Leave her alone. Why do you trouble her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. For you always have the poor with you, and whenever you want, you can do good for them. But you will not always have me. She has done what she could; she has anointed my body beforehand for burial. And truly, I say to you, wherever the gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will be told in memory of her.” Then Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve, went to the chief priests in order to betray him to them. And when they heard it, they were glad and promised to give him money. And he sought an opportunity to betray him. (Mark 14:1-11, ESV)
In his sermon CJ remarks on how everyone in the room was critical of Mary, and what they should have been doing is lining up behind her to do the same. I literally wept at this point. Haven't i been forgiven! Aren't my sins nailed to His cross! Too often i am among the scoffers and not often enough am i sitting at His feet. While i was listening to this sermon the song, Mary Did You Know came to mind... and it is my song for today.
Mary Did you Know? by Mark Lowry - October 1988 Mary did you know that your baby boy would one day walk on water? Mary did you know that your baby boy would save our sons and daughters? Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new? This child that you've delivered, will soon deliver you. Mary did you know that your baby boy would give sight to a blind man? Mary did you know that your baby boy would calm a storm with his hand? Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod? And when your kiss your little baby, you have kissed the face of God. Oh Mary did you know--- The blind will see, the deaf will hear,the dead will live again. The lame will leap, the dumb will speak, the praises of the lamb---. Mary did you know that your baby boy is Lord of all creation? Mary did you know that your baby boy would one day rule the nations? Did you know that your baby boy is heaven's perfect lamb? This sleeping child you're holding is the great--I--- AM---. So i ask...
Do you intentionally review and reflect upon the gospel? If not, and i am including myself in this question and statement, do not expect to be passionate about the Savior.
“And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation.

“‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’” (Revelation 3:14-22, ESV)

No comments: