20080701

Random thoughts

This morning I awoke a little earlier than usual due to a bizarre dream. I was dreaming that my work computer had some kind of weird music playing that I could not possibly turn off. Near the end of the dream a co-worker (I think) was showing me some kind of prized possession, but it was only a pair of plastic dagger like things (with the dull flat edges and everything). For some reason this disturbed me enough to wake me up. I thought about it some and decided I needed to back off from a few things. Not sure how I came to a direct link there, but... anyway. Facebook is going to take a little hit though. ;) As I lay there praying I decided to pick up and read Matthew 7 (I am slowly reading through the New Testament, one chapter at a time). Matthew 7 starts off with a set of verses that is popularly quoted when someone (usually a Christian) is trying to tell someone "it's none of your business".
"Judge not, that be not judged." (Matthew 7:1, ESV)
A lot of people use this verse to say that they feel that it is not for us to reveal what is perceived as sin in others. But the verse does not stop there. Judging, and trying to help another person deal with sin are two entirely different things. God's Word does a pretty good job when it defines sin (I like to review Exodus 20:1-17 personally... pretty much anything you can think of can be weighed against these verse to see if it is a good thing or not... the trick is to check your own heart honestly). The key is to honestly investigate yourself (taking the log out of your own eye), and then helping your brother with his "speck". Note: our issues are always larger than our brothers. The whole chapter is something that is excellent to study and just "chew" on. Verse for today: 2 Timothy 3 : 16-17, ESV All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God [2] may be competent, equipped for every good work.

No comments: