20110105

Wednesday Wickedness - 20110105

Hi and welcome to Wednesday Wickedness! We are like other memes in that we will ask you ten questions each and every Wednesday. But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick a famous person and pick ten of their quotes. Each of our questions will be based on the quotes. Got it? Great! Let's begin this week's meme!

I am thinking about picking this back up again, but instead of trying to get this weeks famous person's quotes out there on time... i have decided to be one week late.  This way i can take my time and be more consistent with my participation.  Not sure how Janera Jepson will think of this... but it is the only way i will be able to keep up. I hope she doesn't mind.

Today we picked Mark Twain. Here's Wednesday Wickedness!

1. A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.
Do you let yourself off the hook easily?
No, not really.  I tend to be very "hard" on myself.  It's not because i think of myself as better than anyone else, it's because i am the only one/thing i can really control.  And even that i struggle against my own sin nature (see Romans 7).  I have observed that people will often shoot for the lowest common denominator in almost any endeavor - including myself, therefore i attempt to set the bar as high as possible in order that i may achieve the best possible standards.  I am not always good at estimating just how high that bar needs to be however.

2. A man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar.
Do you think everyone lies?
Yes i do.  Not all the time, but take into consideration that if any detail is omitted, or changed in the slightest bit,in order to manipulate the perception of the listener, even in the slightest way, it is a lie.  Now, not everyone does it maliciously, but i do believe everyone lies.

3. A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
What was the last thing that you had to learn the hard way?
Wow... to be honest i am not 100% certain.  Unfortunately most of my life's lessons are learned this way. Um, i believe the most recent one, and this was not the first time for me either unfortunately, that before one changes an IP address it is best to connect to the device by another interface first.  So, maybe i haven't learned my lesson... so maybe that shouldn't be my answer then.

4. A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
What types of things do you read?
Hmm... i read News articles (and no, not just about the Carolina Panthers), theological books (i.e. The Cross Centered Life, Reformed Theology, etc.), Science Fiction Books (i.e. Path of the Warrior, Guant's Ghosts, etc.), and various .pdf files regarding whatever router issue i might be working on - usually Cisco.

5. A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.
Have you ever thought about something that did not exist and later it was invented?
I am pretty sure i cannot take credit, or even insinuate, that i ever had such an original idea/thought/concept, etc.  I can see his point though.  LOL  Recently i have been reading a lot of articles about how innovative the original TRON movie was.  How it showed so many things that the non-personal computer world had yet to realize, let alone understand.  I think similar things were said about the original Star Trek back in the 60's.  "It was ahead of its time" i believe the saying goes.

6. Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.
How well do you think that you observe people?
I am not a very good student of people.  I often miss the subtle clues, but i will take people at their word, and if they do not follow up - or what they have said is proved false,  i am hesitant to take them at the word again in the future.

7. Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
Have you ever used humor to diffuse a difficult situation?
I have, but i am not nearly as proficient as my oldest son, LONG-SHANKS.  He has a gift for being able to diffuse tense situations.  Often, a witty comment, or distracting remark can really help ease tensions.  But even so, it needs to be used with care... because often times, it can go the other way too.

8. Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
How important is your age to you? Do you ever lie about it or refuse to reveal it?
I am not really mindful of my age.  I cannot do anything about it.  I cannot stop time.  It is what it is.  Every once in a while my beloved makes a comment, "only six more years until you are ___".  I usually have to think about it for a little bit.  In some regards it does matter though.  I do know that there are things that i used to be able to do as a lad... that i really shouldn't even begin to consider now. 

9. All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure.
How important do you think confidence is? Are you confident?
Confidence is vital.  Too often a lack of confidence will kill a project before it even gets through the planning phase.  One thing is for sure... nothing can succeed unless it is attempted.  Now, having said all that... confidence is a major weakness of mine... i tend to lack it... a lot.

10. Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Do you do everything you should to be healthy?
No, not really (he says as he pops another M&M and takes a sip of Dr Pepper).  I do try and avoid some things that are not good for me.  I try and limit the amount of pasta i eat.  I do try and avoid eating sweets all the time... and i try and limit myself to no more than one Dr Pepper a day.  Not perfect, but hey... that's me.



No comments: