20100524

I will Praise You in this Storm - Music Monday edition - 20100524

Have you ever been in a storm and not known it?  I doubt it.  God has given each of us an ability to have a visual perspective.  We can feel the rain and the wind on our face and bodies.  We can see the dark clouds and lightning.  We can hear the crack of thunder and the impact of rain upon the ground.  But what happens when you are following what God is leading you to do?  There is a peace that truly surpasses all understanding.  The storm still rages, but when you are looking into the Saviors face, Paradise, Psalm 23 playing out.

A really good illustration came to mind as i was typing this out:
Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds.  And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone,  but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them.  And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea.  But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear.  But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.

And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”  He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus.  But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.”  Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”  And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.  And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” (Matthew 14:22-33, ESV)
This awesome experience of Peter does not fit my situation exactly.  For me God had mercy on me and He was beside and leading me before the storm kicked up.  Peter had to go on ahead of His Lord and before Christ rejoined them the storm blew in.  But the illustration is still vital for me as i continue to go forward.  As long as Peter looks at the Savior he is perfectly safe out on the water.  He is walking on the water while waves and lightning (the later an assumption on my part) crash and the wind howls.  He is at peace in the midst of it all until... he looks no longer to his Lord and Savior, but at the storm.  It is then he begins to sink.  And yet, he is still not lost.  Jesus reaches out and takes hold of Peter and leads him back to the boat.
Praise You In This Storm
Written by Mark Hall / Music by Mark Hall and Bernie Herms

I was sure by now
God, You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with You"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

CHORUS
I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with You"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

CHORUS

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth
(repeat)

CHORUS

Though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

2005 Club Zoo Music (BMI) / SWECS Music (BMI) (adm. by EMI CMG Publishing) / Word Music, LLC (ASCAP) / Banahama Tunes (ASCAP) (adm. by Word Music, LLC)


I have no idea how long, or even how severe this storm is going to be, but i am grateful to Jesus for being with me, and even when i have taken my eyes off of Him, He will draw me back in. 

But ultimately my storm is tame compared to what COWGIRL is going through.  My "storm" is mostly a result of my own comfort and preferences.  Hers is one of family, cancer.  What is going to happen with the illness?  What about her children?  What issues may arise from the children's father?  None of these things are in her control, and yet she is handling herself with grace.  She is the image of peace.

May the Lord continue to shower us with His grace and mercy, may His perfect peace and strength carry us through to the other shore.  Perhaps, even all together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think when you are going through a storm and He is with you it is the coolest thing ever.

It is nice to know that you can have a peace about you and everything around you is in chaos.