20090119

Music Monday - 20090119

Wow what a week. I have been dealing with a strong cold for about four days now... and my mind has been fuzzy and my head feels like a bowling ball. Today it's snowing outside and my beloved is giving me guilt trips for not being able to take the kids outside to play in it. To be honest, even if i was home i am not so sure i'd want to be outside right now. Yesterday as i avoided the masses at church because of my cold, i sat and listened to a sermon by Robin Boisvert. It was a sermon he did at Covenant Life Church in Gaithersburg, MD back in December, titled "The Divinity of Jesus Christ". What a great reminder. I think if you ask many Christians today, "Do you believe Jesus is the Son of God", most - if not all - would answer yes. If you asked them, "Do you believe Jesus Christ was God", i am not sure what the percentage would be. I hope it would be overwhelmingly the majority. Too often we as Christians (and i am certain that i am among this group, so i struggle with this too) move away from "the main thing". What is our faith based in? Where does our hope belong? Is it that God will give us peace and prosperity? A trouble free life? I know i have to work on my own heart daily. Lately i've struggled with the unknown of an upcoming employment change. God willing my job will not change, just my employer. God has consistantly proven to me that He is moving in my life in the area of my career, and yet when this little bump comes i begin to get fearful. Why!?! Hasn't He shown what He can, and has, do(ne)!?! Ultimately my peace and prosperity is not to be found in this life. Any bank account/portfolio i accumulate is dust. Any possesions i "own" now will someday lie in ruins. I can't hold onto either if it came down to it. I can be a good steward and do things to hold on for a while, but in the end i will have to let them go. Jesus has said that He is going to prepare a place for us (either a mansion, or a room - does it really matter? If we are in the Kingdom of God does it matter if it's an efficency, or a spacious manor?) - and that is where my ultimate peace and provision lay. To be a street cleaner in the Kingdom of Heaven would be a grand thing! After listening to Robin's message i scrolled down to my praise and worship section on my little MP3 player and despite me having the thing set up to random shuffle, two songs kept playing. One was...
What a Glorious Mystery by Stephen Altrogge from the All We Long to See albumn Who can comprehend Your holy ways O Lord Your glorious power without end From which the stars were born How could we ever understand The moving of Your hand? How could we ever come to grasp The One who never began? Oh, what a glorious mystery You are Oh, what a glorious mystery You are Though we only see in part You’ve completely won our hearts Oh, what a glorious mystery You are Who can comprehend Your gracious mercy Lord Great loving kindness that would send A Savior to be born? Why would you, Jesus, die for us Who cursed Your perfect name? Why would You come to reconcile Those who caused Your shame? © 2002 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI).
Ultimately this is the "food" we should "chew" on. Everything else we seek to know about God should all be centered around, and return to, the cross. For without it, there is nothing sustainable in our lives concerning the things of God. Thank you Robin for such a beautiful and poignant message.

2 comments:

Amy L Buitendyk said...

It is a great post but I have to be honest - all I could hear in my head was, "Did you check out my new camo bowling ball" LOL...

Sorry - I will have to come back tomorrow - skip the 1st paragraph - and re-read the rest of the blog! LOL

Anonymous said...

i'm praying you're feeling better... or will be soon. also, am praying about your job. thanks for sharing that song... its such a good one.

aren't you glad that God is in control of everything? :)