20090105

Music Monday - 20090105

I downloaded a sermon by C.J. Mahaney titled "The Troubled Soul" yesterday. C.J. gave this sermon back on May 25th of 2008. It was based on Psalm 42. Unfortunately i missed a lot of the details because i was listening to it while at the gym. But some points i do remember:
  • It is possible for one who hungers, thirsts, and is actively pursuing God to feel distant from God.
  • No matter who you are, the person that has the most influence in your life is you
  • We need to retrain ourselves so that we talk to ourselves and not listen to ourselves
I will be revisiting this sermon in a more subdued time so that i can listen more intently, and take notes. So, for today, my song will be the Psalm that was the basis for this sermon:
Psalm 42 As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God? My tears have been my food day and night, while they say to me continually, "Where is your God?" These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I would go with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of God with glad shouts and songs of praise, a multitude keeping festival. Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar. Deep calls to deep at the roar of your waterfalls; all your breakers and your waves have gone over me. By day the Lord commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life. I say to God, my rock: "Why have you forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?" As with a deadly wound in my bones, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me continually, "Where is your God?" Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.

2 comments:

Amy L Buitendyk said...

A lot of this was a much needed thing today - especially this:

I say to God, my rock:
"Why have you forgotten me?
Why do I go mourning
because of the oppression of the enemy?"
As with a deadly wound in my bones,
my adversaries taunt me,
while they say to me continually,
"Where is your God?"
Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God.


Thank you!

Anonymous said...

ditto. i needed this today. thank you. :)