20080109

How do we know?

Since Christmas I have had the chance to watch a few movies. In two of them there was a line or two that kind of caught my attention.

The first one was in "Ratatouille". The main human charecter, Linguini . When he shows up at Gusteau's asking for a job it is found out that his mother (who had written a letter to help him) has passed away. When the Chef offers his condolences Linguini says something to the affect that she is "covered" because she believe in heaven. It is also important to state that why she is "covered", or what exactly she believed, is not expounded upon in the movie. It is more a part of the conversation to help the audience feel sympathy for the boy, and a sense of concern for how the whole plot unfolds for him.

The other movie is "Meet Joe Black". At the end Bill Parish (Anthony Hopkins) is leaving with 'Joe Black' (Brad Pitt), he turns and asks, "Should I be afraid"? Joe responds, "Not a man like you". Once again it is important to note that the movie does not go in depth as to the charecters view on heaven and hell, or his theological beliefs.

I am not really sure how much to go into this whole subject. From an observers point of view we can try and discern things, but in both of these cases, the 'people' being observed are completely fictional. The charecters themselves do not have souls, once the movie ends so does there existance. I guess my main point of concern is the messages that are being conveyed.

I have several relatives who are (or where) of the mind that "all roads lead to heaven". I only mention this, and I guess it is on my mind because, the comments were specific references to heaven and the people on their way to the afterlife. I love both of these movies, and these references do very little to diminish my enjoyment of them. But I would like to speak to my fellow believers in Christ who come upon these pages.

Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy [1] that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." (Matthew 7:13-14, ESV)

"Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. [4] From now on you do know him and have seen him.” (John 14:5-7, ESV)

As Christians we may doubt about our salvation. We may question our own walk with the Savior, but we must guard our hearts and minds against how salvation (the path to heaven) is obtained. There is one God, and there is but one path to salvation, and that is through Jesus Christ. He cannot be both a great prophet and a liar. He is either one or the other, and I place my trust in the former.


Verse for today:
John 10:22-30, ESV
At that time the Feast of Dedication took place at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the colonnade of Solomon. So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not part of my flock. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, [1] is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one.”

1 comment:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I hear ya, Samurai. I notice these things all the time in media. It bothers me, but I don't know what to do. We always tried to correct flawed thinking when the kids were little and would see such stuff. Hopefully they are mature enough to do that for themselves now.