20080108

Musical Monday - a day late

My appologies for not having kept up with the very thing I am trying to start! Musical Mondays! No good excuse, just poor explinations... but I am here today, to pick up where I left off, even if it's a day late this week.

I listen to music all the time. Pretty much whenever I get the chance, but I still struggle with what I want to share on Mondays. This morning, just as I was getting to work the song I've chossen for today came on. I almost sat and listened to it, but I was already running a little late. My song for today is by Mercy Me, titled "Bring the Rain".

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain
So I pray

Holy, holy, holy
Is the Lord God Almighty

How many times have I prayed for God to reveal His glory through me? Or asked for Him to do His work in me? When I first came to KNOW him, when I confessed that I am a sinner and asked for Him to come live in me, accepting His substitution for my payment, did I not say that I trust Him ultimately? But how often have I held back? How often have I feared what He might do? I trust Him with my soul, but not my flesh?!?

The book of Job has been a long time favorite, and I know - at least intellectually - that God is ultimately trust worthy. This song really speaks to me about how truly trustable God is, and that even in the midst of the storms of life, God is there. He is there to not only calm the waves and wind, but He controls them as well. In the opening chapters of Job is shown that the enemy can only move so far. In Romans His word shows that He uses ALL things for our ultimate good.

This song really moves me, and it reminds me that if God were to bring a storm (even more than a light 'sprinkle') that I can trust Him, that I can stand in the midst of the raging wind and water, and look to the heavens and rejoice. Our time on this earth is incredibly short in the light of eternity...

Verse for today:
Revelation 21:5-8, ESVAnd he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

3 comments:

Susan said...

I love love love this song! It's a beautiful picture in my head.

:-) Susan

samurai said...

I love the picture too. I imagine myself, sort of like the image from "Shawshank Redemption". Standing in the midst of a storm, arms held wide and my face towards heaven. Feeling the rain on my face, and the water streaming down.

I am going to download that song now! LOL :-)

Alise said...

I love this song as well. It's a tough prayer though! I like to think that I can say, "Though You slay me, yet shall I praise You," but honestly, some days I'd rather the slaying than the mindless drone of life.

Great song choice!