20080103

Red in the morning...

The old sailor's legend says, "red in the morning, sailors take warning", but what may be true out at sea does not necesarrily mean danger here on land. At least, I've never been one to be very superstitious. That does not mean my day did not get off to a rough start. I've been trying to work on my self discipline. Get up, have some time with God (also known as a quiet time), hopefully get in a little exercise, but the bed is so warm, and sleep so inviting... Today I actually got up when the alarm went off (well, I did hit the snooze once), but I didn't hit the shower running. I strolled in, checked e-mail, casually got a shower, and then realized that it was a school morning and DS1 and my beloved were not awake. As a result I was not able to walk downstairs and open up my Bible. I did, however, get DS1 to school on time, and as a result, to work a tad early. While I was coming in to work I glanced to my left and I saw one of the most incredible sunrises. The sky was a pristine blue (the kind only a really sharp cold can produce) with just wisps of clouds. Lower towards the horizon there was one cloud that was a burnt orange that extended for about one half of the visibile horizon. But what made this one so incredible was what looked like a thick beam of an orange red straight up. It originated from the upper edge of the sun, that appeared to be exploding in light as it 'broke forth' from the horizon. Since I was driving it was niegh impossible to stop and enjoy it, nor did I have a camera with me. I was encouraged instead of being disappointed about not actually doing what I had hoped to (quiet time, exercise). But I am concerned that my focus the past six to twelve months has not been all that great. I really need to exercise my self disicpline. My view on it is this, discipline is like a muscle. It only gets stronger when exercised. :-) Verse for today: 2 Chronicles 11-16, ESV Thus Solomon finished the house of the Lord and the king's house. All that Solomon had planned to do in the house of the Lord and in his own house he successfully accomplished. Then the Lord appeared to Solomon in the night and said to him: “I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for myself as a house of sacrifice. When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command the locust to devour the land, or send pestilence among my people, if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place. For now I have chosen and consecrated this house that my name may be there forever. My eyes and my heart will be there for all time.

No comments: