20060706

To know and be known

My day has just been a whirlwind. I wanted to blog earlier, but this is my first chance to come up for air! :) Last night as I was falling asleep I kept mulling over about knowing God, and more importantly being known by Him. We can know about God. We can study Him and learn about Him. In James (in the context of faith) it says "Even the demons believe - and shudder" (James 2:19, esv) On the final day there will be none who doubt about the existance of God. But when we know Him - are we followers of Him? Obviously God knows all things. He knows about each of us. But what does it mean for Him to know each of us? In Matthew 7 Jesus talks about the importance of this... "“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’"(Matthew 7:21-23, esv) It is with fear and trembling I contemplate these words. Am I following Jesus? Am I doing works in His name? More than that does He know me? I am not fearful just to be afraid. The consequences are dramatic. There is no grey area here. Either we are known by Him and welcomed into His Kingdom where He has gone before us to prepare a room for us - or we are cast out where there is nashing of teeth for all eternity. I am concerned for myself first and formost. I need to drop on my knees before His throne and seek Him out. I need to keep Him ever before me, and seek to invite Him in that I may be known. Today Paul's words are ringing true and reasonating deep within my mind and heart... "I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me." (Romans 7:15-20, esv) Heavenly Father, I desperately need for You to dwell within me. I desire for nothing more than to be known by You. Lord I ask for Your hands to guide my head, my heart, and my limbs. Lord I ask for You to jealously guard me and my family. May we be counted among Your people. That is what is on my heart today.

1 comment:

Sage said...

beautiful. Cool. Helpful. Yours.