20060705

Fireworks

Well, I am at a loss for what to write about again today. After seeing fireworks again last night - for the 3rd time in 4 days - perhaps that is what I will write about. :) On Saturday I saw the fireworks at the Antietam National Battlefield in Sharpsburg, MD. What a wonderful show. In addition to the set up at the battlefield you could see a few other townships nearby - so it was almost a 3-for-1 deal. :) These fireworks were realy nice, they were up close. It lasted about 20 minutes, and a really good variety. On Sunday we had the home variety. You know the kind (maybe). The ones you can buy legally on the roadside. Not really powerful, but they are nice. And the kids love them. We had several friends over for a BBQ, and two of them brought their supply. This one lasted about 40 minutes because we had to do it the old fashion way. I also had to do all the work. No one else felt comfortable handling these 'explosives', so. Last night we saw the 4th of July light show put on by Hershey Park. They were about 30 minutes long, and they were some distance away - in some cases the light show had faded before we heard the concussion. But it was probably the best fireworks display I'd seen in many a year. There was never a pause, and the finale was just awesome! I doubt my meager words really do any of it justice, but I thought I would write about it. When I was on active duty I had to work the gates in the Washington DC area. We searched cars from 12 o'clock right up until the fireworks were scheduled to begin. And I remember my disappointment - not for me, but for those who literally waitied hours to see them - when the display lasted a meager 15 minutes, and it was very lame show IMO. I have never really been one who got excited about fireworks. I'm not really sure why, but my family absolutely love them. Even my two youngest who hold their ears the entire time. Maybe I am just too synical or something. Oh well, I am not downing fireworks. I think they are spectacular. How those who make them can get the timing down and are essentially controlling explosions, and compiling the mixtures to get just the right colors and and shapes. It is amazing. Well, that is all I have for today. I pray that this finds each of you well. Verse for today: Proverbs 5:1-6, 15-23, esv My son, be attentive to my wisdom; incline your ear to my understanding, that you may keep discretion, and your lips may guard knowledge. For the lips of a forbidden [1] woman drip honey, and her speech [2] is smoother than oil, but in the end she is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged sword. Her feet go down to death; her steps follow the path to [3] Sheol; she does not ponder the path of life; her ways wander, and she does not know it. Drink water from your own cistern, flowing water from your own well. Should your springs be scattered abroad, streams of water in the streets? Let them be for yourself alone, and not for strangers with you. Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth, a lovely deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts fill you at all times with delight; be intoxicated [4] always in her love. Why should you be intoxicated, my son, with a forbidden woman and embrace the bosom of an adulteress? [5] For a man's ways are before the eyes of the Lord, and he ponders [6] all his paths. The iniquities of the wicked ensnare him, and he is held fast in the cords of his sin. He dies for lack of discipline, and because of his great folly he is led astray.

1 comment:

Sage said...

thank you for the advice, and I'lll be reading psalm 23 tonight. Thanx bro... really...