20060413

The Last Supper - and my own ramblings

I know there is a 'special' name for today - but the for the life of me I can't think of it. I know it does because my church is having a "Last Supper" service tonight, which I will not be going to. Things have been so busy around my house that my head is spinning. Tonight will be the first night in about 2 weeks that I do not have anything to do. But at the same time - today through Sunday are some serious days to contemplate what Christianity is all about. Last night after I took my oldest to Baseball practice I met the rest of the family at church where are two youngest are taking music lessons. There was a little boy who is known to be quite stubburn and we butted heads. Basically I let a four year old get under my skin. This morning my beloved and I had some "intense fellowship" over a shirt! I had bought a shirt for a special occasion (a date with her) not quite a year ago and she was wondering where it got to. Well for some reason I snapped. I am totally in the wrong and I know it. I'm just so tired of trying to chase down things. Anyway - I will call and appologize to her. I just have to track her down... Before I post my verse for today - shameless plug - I posted another chapter for my short stories... Verse for today: Luke 22:7-20, esv Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. So Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and prepare the Passover for us, that we may eat it.” They said to him, “Where will you have us prepare it?” He said to them, “Behold, when you have entered the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him into the house that he enters and tell the master of the house, ‘The Teacher says to you, Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’ And he will show you a large upper room furnished; prepare it there.” And they went and found it just as he had told them, and they prepared the Passover. And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like the most meaningful holidays are the ones where have the most stuff to do. I know I get so busy "doing the stuff" that I let the significance of the season slip into obscurity. I pray that you have a great Holy day season with your family this weekend.

Alise said...

I know there is a 'special' name for today - but the for the life of me I can't think of it.
Maunday Thursday.

I think of all of the days of Holy Week, this is one of my favorites. Jesus reveals the "mystery" of the spotless lamb and the sacrifice. The great unveiling of what the tradition was all about. The blood that saved in the past continues to save today. Praise be to God!