20060426

Huskies & Clydesdales

Well, today is going to be brief. The group I work for has a big wig comming for a visit today. I know this happens to me as well, but it's fun to see normally sane people just seem to lose their minds when some one high up comes for a visit. One thing I've sort of learned is the VIP usually does not know all the intricacies of what we do at out levels. Nor do they realy want to know. They have enough things to worry about at their own level of operations. What they are concerned with is are we performing our tasks and what is the bottom line. There are times when they want to know what you are doing, but they will most likely not understand it. Even those that have worked their way up through the ranks (so to speak) will have forgotten a lot of what they used to do - or the procedures will have changed. IMO the visits are more to show that they are concerned about the people under them - or there is a really serious problem. In either case it is in the Lord's more than capable hands. This visit has reminded me of a funny story. When I was a fairly new Artillery Chief I had the Adjudant General for my state come to visit the gun line. Now I still had to put my helmet on, and pretty up the area, but I was pretty calm about it all. I secretly hoped that he would not come under my net - but of course he did. I did my little skit and while I was talking to him a fire mission was called down. I interupted my conversation and executed the mission, and went back to talking to him. During the fire mission one of my section noticed one of his aides smoking a cigar under my net which is a big no-no (no smoking within 50 ft of high explosives) and the soldier asked him to put it out, or leave! I did not know about that until afterwards and the guy was nervous. I told him he did exactly right and to not worry. Anyway, for me such VIP are for the 'officers' to concern themselves with. For me I just take care of my litte 'section' and all is right witht he world. Verse for today: James 4:13-17, esv Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”—yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

1 comment:

samurai said...

The visit never took place. Go figure. I worried for no reason.