20110210

Look, i know it's Thursday, and this was "due" on Monday... but hey, no blog before it's time.

Hello and welcome to my rambling Music Monday and miscelanities.  I usually have a Microfiction Monday contribution on Monday's, but i dropped the ball on that one.  I also want to get back on the horse with regular Music Monday postings... so, that will be posted below.  But, with my wanting to get something, anything, posted again... i am of course throwing several offerings in all at once.  I am told that these kinds of posts are enjoyable... i will take the word of those who have left comments and feedback as... i don't see how, but... OK. 

Oh, and since i will probably not post this until Thursday i should probably mention that "The Way of Walking with Christ" blog series has completed with last weeks post.  I have placed a link to a single post with all entries on my "Blog entries with a samurai theme" list to the right. Or you can just click on the link i cleverly inserted here with the title. 

This past Sunday i went over to my friend MOUSE's house (lol, pun not intended) for the Super Bowl.  He is a huge Pittsburgh Steelers fan.  It was nice to be invited out, and while his Steelers didn't win the big game, he put on quite a spread. Not only is he a football fan, and fond of tailgating... he is a Chef to boot.  Win-Win for team samurai Sunday night.  8)  One good thing for the Panthers right now... they are now officially undefeated once more, and they are #1!  #1 on draft day that is.  Let's see how the labor negotiations go between the owners and the players.  The more i think about it... the more i am on the player's side when it comes to the number of games played in a season.  Personally, i think 18 games are too many.  Player's bodies have a hard enough time making it through a 16 game schedule now, and the "concession" to add two (or is it three) more roster slots... not enough.  I feel that a minimum of five additional roster spots would be needed to help teams get through all of the inevitable injuries that would arise.  I like the idea of the rookie salary caps.  I like the idea of more money being set aside for players in the older ages to help with head injuries and other lingering issues.  Now, i understand that there are only so many M&M's in the jar out there, and how they all get divided up is pretty tricky, but... i am leaning towards agreeing with a lot of the players issues.  Still, it is hard to feel sorry for millionaires who get to play a game for a living - even if it is only for a few years (most likely), all the while the bulk of the fans - the ones who turn on the TV's. who pay the hard earned money to make it to the games, buy the products such as jerseys and hats, who are hurting to make ends meet.  Just because there are some who can dish out hundred's of dollars on a Sunday to see their favorite team play does not mean that we all can.  Well, anyway... the Panthers are undefeated once more, and they are #1!  Go Panthers!

Anyone who frequents this blog knows i am a fanboy of C.J. Mahaney, so it would only be natural for me to follow his blog.  Now, he is not the only contributor to the blog, but he does indeed contribute from time to time... ok... getting off track here... anyway, last Friday's blog was something i had pondered from time to time, but never really sunk my teeth into it.  It was titled "When Humility is Pride", and for some reason the title both caught me off guard, and glad to see as i know CJ has been accused of being artificially modest, that his humbleness is an act.  Now, one thing i know from having lived with my mother long enough, anyone can faux whatever they want, and they might be able to fool not just themselves, but others too.  The only impartial judge of the heart is God, but if you can be honest with yourself enough... it is good to perform self evaluations.  Anyway, this blog post really had me chewing and thinking and i thought it would be good to share.  Oh, and this is being added late, but... CJ has also been doing a great series on Criticism.  This is an area i REALLY struggle in, and i am not in any sort of public ministry (well, other than this blog... if it can be considered a ministry). Anyway, i know that for me i can be very prideful, and when everyone does not agree with me, or think that i am doing things in the most proficient manner... i tend to take exception and want to react before i really listen and evaluate.  I highly recommend this series as well.

Since last summer i have really been struggling to "pick up the pen" and get back to writing.  TULIP has told me that she believes this is one manifestation of my depression (among other things of course). I am inclined to agree.  When i am down i really don't feel like creating anything.  I end up just trying to keep my head above water.  When i finally start to claw my way out of it, and i get my fingers going once more... i do find an enjoyment of creating a story.  Well, i have been writing again... and that is a good thing.  I have a few chapters that needed to get posted over on my short story blog, Samurai's YarnsWhile i am being encouraged to "just keep writing" and "go back and edit later", i am not willing to post them until i have a chance to review and edit at least once before posting.  I am about 3,700 words into the next phase of the tale, with a rough estimate of another similar amount to go before this chapter is a wrap.  I also have inklings on the next phase too... i've just not fleshed them out any yet.

OK, finally this was supposed to be my "Music Monday offering this week.
Rain Song

Bring rivers in this wasteland
Clouds into this sky
Bring springs of life into the wells that have been run dry

Rise up in this city
Gather in this light
Fall down on your people
Your glory and your life

Rain
Lord we thirst for water
Rain
We are desert Land
Rain
On your sons and daughters
Rain
Bring your rain again

Speak dreams into this water
And vision to this land
That oceans be divided
And bring forth life again

Rise up in this city
Gather in this light
Fall down on your people
Your glory and your life

CHORUS x 2

Let the tide roll in
Washing over our lives
Let your water fall again

Bring rivers in this wasteland
Clouds into the sky

CHORUS x 2

Bring your rain again
Let your water fall down
Bring your rain again now
(repeat)
This song was speaking to me this week.  In the book of John we find the account of Jesus' interaction with the Samaritan woman:
A woman from Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, Give me a drink. (For his disciples had gone away into the city to buy food.) The Samaritan woman said to him, “How is it that you, a Jew, ask for a drink from me, a woman of Samaria?” (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.) Jesus answered her, If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water. The woman said to him, “Sir, you have nothing to draw water with, and the well is deep. Where do you get that living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob? He gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did his sons and his livestock.” Jesus said to her, Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. [2] The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.” (John 4:7-15, ESV)
I have always related to the imagery rain and being "thirsty" for God.  When we feel distant from God, and even before we confess Christ as our Lord, the deep desire of the need for that relationship... the need of a Savior, the need of fellowship with God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, can most be thought of... akin to if you will, a thirst.  Not just a my-mouth-is-dry thirst, but a thorough sense of relief-from-dehydration-as-every-cell-in-my-body-is-rehydrated kind of thirst.  Anyway... there are times in my walk where... i feel so very, very thirsty for the things of God, and when one gets a taste... it satiates like nothing else can.  Well, with my struggles with depression it feels like a vast Mohave Dessert kind of need.  The imagery of this song to me is off a rain storm in a dessert... of God's Spirit raining down and filling not just me, but others around (and through?) me.  There is a reason scientists look for water on other planets... without it (as far as we understand the universe presently) life is not possible.  The same is true for my walk with Christ... i NEED his Spirit to rain, and to reign.  Especially as i try and navigate this valley known as depression.


1 comment:

My ADHD Me said...

I just finished up through your 3rd paragraph (ending in Go Panthers) and had to stop and say 2 things...
1. WHEW!
2. I am SO impressed! Written in true ADHD form!
************

I found the section that starts off with "Since last summer" and ends with "and that is a good thing" extremely interesting to read. Oh, I know why! It was written for me! (except for the part about Tulip speaking to you. I don't believe she and I have spoken). :)

"You are about 3,700 words into the next phase of the tale". I am trying to match that in this comment!

Yes, the imagery of that song is good but honestly, the imagery of YOUR feelings hit home with me.

I just said a prayer for you. Keep that head up Up UP! And don't worry about drowning. Jesus will throw you a life jacket!

"Keep "Flogging"!!.