20100818

Random Dozen Wednesday - 20100818

Yea!  It's time for another random dozen!  Linda over at 2nd Cup of Coffee hosts this fun meme.  Surf on over and check her blog out!

1. What is your favorite fair/carnival food?

For me it has to be Carmel Covered Apples.  Mostly because i do not get them very often, and i associate them with carnivals for some reason.  I've never enjoyed Cotton Candy - too sticky.  Funnel cakes... too... fried.  There is just something about the chewy caramel wrapped around a golden delicious apple.  Yummy!

2. Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?
There is always something to let go of... my own pride often gets into my own way.  Recently  the Holy Spirit has been showing me that i need to let go of many of my own preferences.  Something specific... probably my desire to have "my own time" as often as i do.  It's important to have decompress time... but i think i need to dial that way back.

3. What is your favorite gift to receive?
Game time... *chuckle*, i like to receive time to sit down and play Fallout 3, etc.  But the more practical, and just as enjoyable, restaurant gift cards.  My Beloved and i love to eat out.  With and without the kids.  The meals are usually delicious, no clean up, no prep work, etc. 

4. When was the last time you tried something new?
6-Aug @ about 1330 EDT - I went to a somewhat distant Mexican restaurant that i love with current and former co-workers (we were all together for the funeral of my friend's wife - she was the quadriplegic i had mentioned in past posts).  I usually go with the dishes i know, but this time i tried the lunch special... i was disappointed.  Usually that prevents me from trying something new... but i am actually eager to try some of the other items on the menu now.

5. What is your favorite and least favorite book genre?
To be honest i am not entirely sure because i really do tend to stick to things i know i like; however, the books i like the least are technical study books. For my job it is really helpful if you have certifications, and currently the most economical way to study for them is to buy the books and try and digest them.  It's like trying to build a toy wooden boat out of sawdust for me.

6.Silver or Gold?
Choosing between these two... silver.  I have a skin tone that just allows silver to look better - in my opinion.  To me gold is somewhat tacky, where as silver is more refined and beautiful.  If my Beloved and i ever exchange new rings to renew our vows, etc. i believe i will seek to have either platinum or white gold.

7. What makes you sigh?
This question caught me off guard for some reason.  I think the thing that makes me sigh the most is when someone does not put forth a good effort to do something, and takes the easy way out.  It's not beyond their ability, but beyond their willingness.  People who are not considerate of others and prefer to satisfy their own desires over the desires (or needs) of others.  I am not talking about someone who is already putting themselves out there, who is stretched and not able to stretch further, but people who just can't be bothered.  I usually sigh when i encounter such things.

8. If you didn't know how old you are, how old would you claim you are?
I think 39.  I liked my 30's - and i am loving my... well, years after that... too.

9. Would you break a law to save a loved one? To protect a loved one?
There are a lot of facets to that question... however, yes.  Depending on the context of "save" or "protect" is though.  Am i "saving" them from having to say go to jail because my loved one robbed a bank or killed some one... no, i would not "protect" or "save" them from that, but am i trying to "save" or "protect" them from say a bad relationship, yes.

10. If you had to teach something, what would it be?
I would like to think i would be able to teach about the Holiness of God.  Actually, i may be doing just that with the teens in my church here soon.  I am not talking about Evangelism per se, but the expounding of the characteristics of God.  I am a finite teacher, but if God would allow me, and work through me, to reveal something of Himself - even if the listeners never accept Christ - i feel that would be a great thing.

11. You're having lunch with 3 people whom you respect and admire. They begin to criticize a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend. What do you do?
I would like to think that i would begin to defend them.  Probably after remaining silent for too long before i spoke up.  In the end i do not like it when people criticize anyone, but especially when i know the person being spoken of.  If i know what they are saying isn't true i will more often than not speak up.
A fool's lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating.A fool's mouth is his ruin, and his lips are a snare to his soul. The words of a whisperer are like delicious morsels; they go down into the inner parts of the body. (Proverbs 18:6-8, ESV)

12. Which of the 5 Love Languages is your prominent means of experiencing love?
I retook the test just to make sure... for me it is a tie between Physical Touch and Words of Affirmation.  My Beloved and i actually went through the whole book sometime back and my results have remained fairly consistent, but one thing i have noticed about these kinds of quizzes.  Results can vary from day to day depending on experiences (both recent and older) and current mood.  It also is highly dependent upon the test taker being completely honest and truthful.
       





No comments: