20100222

Music Monday - 20100222 - God is God, and i am not

The past month has pretty much been a blur.  It's been hard for me to get my mind wrapped around anyone subject, etc. (shocker, i know), but the past two weekends our Pastor has been preaching on (essentially) the Awesomeness of God.  It's good to hear Christ centered sermons again, instead of man (or me) centered ones.  At the end of our worship (singing portion) time the worship team sang "God is God" by Steven Curtis Chapman, what a great song.

God is God
by Steven Curtis Chapman
on Declaration (2001)

And the pain falls like a curtain
On the things I once called certain
And I have to say the words I fear the most
I just don’t know

And the questions without answers
Come and paralyze the dancer
So I stand here on the stage afraid to move
Afraid to fall, oh, but fall I must
On this truth that my life has been formed from the dust

God is God and I am not
I can only see a part of the picture He’s painting
God is God and I am man
So I’ll never understand it all
For only God is God

And the sky begins to thunder
And I’m filled with awe and wonder
‘Til the only burning question that remains
Is who am I

Can I form a single mountain
Take the stars in hand and count them
Can I even take a breath without God giving it to me
He is first and last before all that has been
Beyond all that will pass

Oh, how great are the riches of His wisdom and knowledge
How unsearchable for to Him and through
Him and from Him are all things

So let us worship before the throne
Of the One who is worthy of worship alone





Ultimately my relationship with God is not based on what i can achieve, but what He has already achieved.  Like another song i really like, "Not because of who I am, But because of what You've done, Not because of what I've done, But because of who You are". (Casting Crowns, Who am I)

Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said:
“Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
Dress for action [1] like a man;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.
“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding.
Who determined its measurements—surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
On what were its bases sunk,
or who laid its cornerstone,
when the morning stars sang together
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?  --- (Job 38:1-7, ESV)

Then Job answered the Lord and said:
“Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you?
I lay my hand on my mouth.
I have spoken once, and I will not answer;
twice, but I will proceed no further.”  --- (Job 40:3-5, ESV)

Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said:
“Dress for action [1] like a man;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.
Will you even put me in the wrong?
Will you condemn me that you may be in the right?
Have you an arm like God,
and can you thunder with a voice like his?
“Adorn yourself with majesty and dignity;
clothe yourself with glory and splendor.
Pour out the overflowings of your anger,
and look on everyone who is proud and abase him.
Look on everyone who is proud and bring him low
and tread down the wicked where they stand.
Hide them all in the dust together;
bind their faces in the world below. [2]
Then will I also acknowledge to you
that your own right hand can save you.  --- (Job 40:6-14, ESV)

Then Job answered the Lord and said:
“I know that you can do all things,
and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
‘Hear, and I will speak;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.’
I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you;
therefore I despise myself,
and repent [1] in dust and ashes.”  --- (Job 42:1-6, ESV)

No comments: