20060524

The death of a lawn mower

Well, my lawn mower died last night. Well, I'm not sure if it's off to the morgue for it just yet. My first cut of the season I managed to hit a water company pipe cap that I had forgotten was there. I had thought the mower had won that encounter since it started back up, and the iron cap was in about 6 pieces. Last night I was cutting around the back, and I hit something unseen. A rock probably. I never did find out what I had hit. But shortly thereafter it started to sound like it was running out of gas, and it eventually just stopped working. Oh, it will start now, but will not remain running. *sigh* The image that is coming to my mind right now is a bent valve. Not sure why really. I've never worked on small engines, or even larger ones other than to perform a 'tune up' (ah remember the days of cap and rotors). Well, I made a few phone calls, ok a lot of phone calls, last night and managed to find only 2 places still open at 5:45. One of them did not service my brand of lawn mower, and the other was closed for the evening and would be closed all day today. I know the grass cutting season is in full swing, but what ever happened to working during hours when your customer need you! Ok, I'm over reacting here. Especially since the world does not revolve around me. :) I will just have to find a way to drop off the mower tomorrow. I have no ide what to expect. I just hope that it will be less than the cost to replace the old thing. It's seven years old, but up until last night it still started on the first pull every time. Well, that is what you get at 'samurai's dojo' folks. Thoughts of God one day, and the death of a lawn mower the next. :D May God's grace be felt by all who wonder to this page. :) Verse for today: Matthew 6:19-24, esv Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust [5] destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. “The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. [6]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John, my guess would be that you sheared the the little key in the flywheel. It times your crank and camshaft. It's a pretty easy fix. Just pull the flywheel and put in a new key.