20060502

Change of plans

Well, I was going to do a review of Chapter 3 in The Cross Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney today, but for a variety of reasons I will be moving those to the last day of the week (usually a Friday for me) because too many things come up during the weekend! :) Saturday I went to an Army buddy's 30th surprise birthday party. He's a nice guy. Not a Christian, and I've only come close to being able to talk to him about my faith on a few occasions. He knows where I stand though. Anyway, I was able to see another Army buddy from my one activation - we were roommates. He's been doing well, but his daughters are almost all college age now. It's a shame I don't live closer to these guys (I had to drive 90+ minutes to get to the party). Sunday was my sister's wedding. The weather was very nice. The vows were - interesting (none of my immediate family share my views on Christ) - and I think they did a very good job keeping things moving along, but not so much so that they were overwhelmed. I think I could have done a better job on my hotel room though. I spent over $160 on a one night stay that was no better than a Holiday Inn. I'm still glad that I stayed though. The reception did not end until 10PM, and it would have been another 2 hours to drive home. Instead it was a nice mini-vacation with the kids - who behaved very well IMO. My daughter loves to dance with her daddy. :) One or two more random thoughts for today. I was able to get real quiet time on Saturday. I know I should make this more of a priority in my life but anyway... I awoke with Matthew 7:21-23 running through my mind. "“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’" (esv) This has actually been a reoccuring theme in my meditations of late. I have been working on knowing, and by God's mercy, I hope to be known by my Lord in my life. While reading and trying to remember where the above verse was I came upon the story of the rich young ruler that came to Jesus... "And a ruler asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’” And he said, “All these I have kept from my youth.” When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” But when he heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich. Jesus, looking at him with sadness, said, “How difficult it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! "" (Luke 18:18-24, esv) I came upon these verses (this encounter is also mentioned in Matthew 19 and Mark 10) while I was also contemplating Jesus' claims of being God (for another day perhaps). Anyway to make this shorter... I noticed that Jesus pretty much recites the commandments to this young man - except for the first 3 commandments. In rough outline those are not having any other gods before Him. The young man stated that he kept all of the others, and when Jesus says that he still lacked one thing he either could not, or would not, give it up. his money. His money had become another God. He worshiped it, he essentially bowed down to it and would not give it up! Even though Jesus clearly answers that he lacked one thing to attain eternal life! These two verses concern me as a Christian in America today. There are many, many people in America calling themselves Christians today. Going around doing good deeds in the name of Christ, but the idols so readily available in America prevents a real relationship with Christ. Personally I am concerned for my own soul first and foremost. What idols are in my life that I will not give up. I walk and talk a good witness for Christ, but I have a hard time actually taking even 15 minutes a day to get a lone and spend with my Savior! This is a serious thing IMO. Verse for today: Ephesians 2:1-10, esv And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience—among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

No comments: