20060217

God is in the details

Last night my wife and I hosted a small group and we got to talking about the many different things happening in many of the churches in our area. There are churches seeminly expanding exponentially, reaching the youth, dying a slow death, being spun off due to size, splitting over leadership issues, and all at the same time. We all agreed that both the enemy and the Lord are moving simultaniously. And yet we are not privy to all He is doing. We have several friends who attend a church that recently went through a pretty ugly split (imo). It is a church my wife and I left several years ago due to some, misgivings and things we saw that we did not feel were good. (I will not elaborate further here.) And when we left these same friends seemed to be upset with us, but never really approached us as to our reasons - and we still remained friends. Now that pastor has been forced to move on, but when he did so he left them with several million dollars in debt, and also lead about half of the congregation with him to start another church in a neighboring town. After we left the church above I moved my family to near by city to be closer to a really good teaching type church. But as time moved on we found it increasinly difficult to be a part of the ministries of the church. But now I am a part of church where my family is deeply involved (maybe too much IMO). And the pastor of my current church used to be a pastor at the one we left (after we had already left). But in general there is a almost an imperceptable undercurrent of change in the air in regards to faith, church in general (and I am not talking about buildings here - but the body of Christ). God is in the details. There is nothing that escapes His notice. Where is He moving the church - especially in my area? And what role will He have me play? One thing I am sure of is that He has provided me with a confidence that me and my family are where He has us dispite the 'storm' we feel raging around us. I am nervous, and excited about what God is doing around me. May I rest in Him and ride the wave. Verse for today: Matthew 14:22-33 esv Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them. And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.” And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

No comments: