20091019

Musical Monday - 20091019 - and any ramblings that come to mind

OK - before i get started on my usual Musical Monday offering i have to say - Dante Wesley! Dude! I don't care how hyped up you are, how aggressive you are trying to be, 1) You don't take out a player who has called for a fair catch, and 2) You DO NOT launch yourself at a player like that. Boo! (and not the Halloween kind either!) I am hoping the NFL not only fines you but suspends you for at least two games! I say that even knowing that the team needs you on the field because you are good player with a good heart, but that hit was completely uncalled for. Ok, because i am a little distracted here is my selection with my commentary to follow:
What Do I Know of Holy by Addison Road Album: Addison Road I made You promises a thousand times I tried to hear from Heaven But I talked the whole time I think I made You too small I never feared You at all No If You touched my face would I know You? Looked into my eyes could I behold You? (CHORUS) What do I know of You Who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood But the shore along Your ocean? Are You fire? Are You fury? Are You sacred? Are You beautiful? What do I know? What do I know of Holy? I guess I thought that I had figured You out I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about How You were mighty to save Those were only empty words on a page Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees (CHORUS) What do I know of You Who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood But the shore along Your ocean? Are You fire? Are You fury? Are You sacred? Are You beautiful? What do I know? What do I know of Holy? (CHORUS 2) What do I know of Holy? What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame? And a God who gave life "its" name? What do I know of Holy? Of the One who the angels praise? All creation knows Your name On earth and heaven above What do I know of this love? (CHORUS) What do I know of You Who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood But the shore along Your ocean? Are You fire? Are You fury? Are You sacred? Are You beautiful? What do I know? What do I know of Holy? What do I know of Holy? What do I know of Holy?
There are several songs that i really enjoy regarding the Holiness of God, but this one struck me afresh this week. I feel that one thing that is generally missing from most of the pulpits in America is the sermon on God's Holiness. I, personally, do not need more sermons on how i should live my life. I do not want to attend a church about me. I have a desire to know my God more. To attend church to learn about myself is counter productive. Learning how to relate to God, who is infinite and objective, by trying to continually adjust myself, who is finite and subjective, is like trying to play pinball by continually trying to tilt the machine up/down/left/right. It is as we learn about God that we learn about ourselves - and thus we are in a much better position to learn how to adjust ourselves. I've said this before, but to try and reach a goal by using a constantly shifting aiming point is impossible. The best way to know God is to study and learn about Him. I don't care how good the evangelist, the speaker, the witness, unless the lay(wo)men are taught on how to relate to God from His perspective, the body of Christ (at least here in America) will never mature enough to be the kind of witness to the world that we are called to be.

No comments: