20070926

Fantasy Football - what a great marketing ploy

I am pretty sure the NFL was at least indirectly behind what is known as Fantasy Football. I don't know when this really got started, but there are a gazillion FFB services out there. (Personally I favor the Yahoo set up.) This has been a thing that really gets a fan to follow more than just one team. Watch more than one game. I know it has had that impact on me. When I was younger I could care less about any other team than the Redskins (they were my team because both my mother and father were fans), but now - in addition to watching any and all Carolina Panthers game I can - I will watch any other game (albiet with less intrest) I can. Sometimes it will influence who I root for, but over all it is just because I am actually more interested in the NFL overall. Susan commented on my blog yesterday about her brother having problems with his FFB QB. Man can I relate. This past weekend I got blown out in 2 out of my 3 Yahoo games, just because Steve Smith (I gotta have a Panthers on my roster somewhere... Steve Smith, Jake Delhomme, and/or John Kasay) did not have a big stat day. Sure he was an influence on the out come (read about how he rattled DeAngelo Hall at ESPN) of the game, but as far as FFB was concerened he was a dud. As a Panthers fan I was more than happy to lose those games though. So, I think people would be in agreement with me when I say that fantasy football is a good marketing ploy to get people to watch more football. :) Verse for today: Psalm 127:1-2, ESV Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Yep, it's working that way for me!! I've always watched my Bucs and college ball...but FFB caused me to watch three games on a Sunday. It's a great way to stay connected with family, though. We all play and it extends to Uncles, Aunts, and Grandparents. That makes it kind of fun.

:-) Susan