20110309

Wicked Wednesday - 20110309

Hi and welcome to Wednesday Wickedness! We are like other memes in that we will ask you ten questions each and every Wednesday. But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick a famous person and pick ten of their quotes. Each of our questions will be based on the quotes. Got it? Great! Let's begin this week's meme!

Today we picked Whoopi Goldberg. Here's Wednesday Wickedness!

Note:  My responses are a week behind the meme as set up, but it is to allow me to get the responses done (in my opinion) adequately.

1. An actress can only play a woman. I'm an actor, I can play anything.
If you could experience any life form that was not a human of your sex, what would you pick and why?
LOL - it took me a few times reading the question through to get it.  I would love to experience a lifetime as an Elf.  It's not that i think they have a perfect life, but the mythology of the Elves as i know it (which is predominately of the Tolkien variety) really appeals to me.  To have lifetimes to focus on and study different things, and not just one lifetime to study say music, but several such lifetimes.  And not just one subject, but many different ones.  I do not know what Heaven will be like other than i will get to worship God in person, but there are times when i imagine we will get to explore different aspects of His creation and how it pertains to His glory.

2. For some reason, all artists have self-esteem issues.
Do you have any self esteem issues? Do tell. (Since we all do.)
Indeed i do.  I tend to feel that i am i unable to be all that i could want to be, and yet... i know i think to highly of myself.  This may seem like an odd dichotomy but let me expound upon this.  I tend to be very critical of myself.  I perform self evaluations almost daily.  What have i done that i could improve upon.  This is a never ending deal because there is always something that i could have done better, a harsh remark not spoken, a reassuring compliment not spoken, more time spent doing something other than playing on my HTC EVO.  Then there is my relationship with my Savior.  Although God in His kindness has shown me glimpses of my own sin and depravity, the image is but a shadow of just how deeply i had/have offended the Holiness of God.  Just a pinch of leaven will pervade a batch of dough, so does a pinch of sin in my life.  It is only by the grace of God through the work of Jesus Christ am i am able to stand before the Throne.

3. I am the American Dream. I am the epitome of what the American Dream basically said. It said, you could come from anywhere and be anything you want in this country. That's exactly what I've done.
Do you believe in the American Dream or has it passed through time?
I do for the most part.  While i know it is not perfect, i do feel that many of the freedoms that make it so are slowly being stripped away.  America is great, not because we have given everything to some, but because we have allowed hard work to be rewarded.  I do not have all the answers, nor are all my opinions correct, but i do know that you cannot legislate morality and you can not tax a country to prosperity.

4. I don't have pet peeves, I have whole kennels of irritation.
It's been asked before, probably weekly, but what's irritating you today?
This quote brought a slight chuckle out.  8) Nothing particular at the moment.  Things like "failing to plan on your part, shouldn't constitute an emergency on my part",  just because you have to do something you didn't expect or take an extra step in a process because things were not laid out exactly how you wanted does not give you the right to whine and complain - put on your big girl panties and actually do the extra step or two to achieve success.  I tell my children all the time that life is not fair and that they need to learn how to figure out how to overcome the obstacles that appear to be blocking their way.  The sooner one learns to adapt and accept that the world does not revolve around them, the further along the path of success they will be.

5. I don't look like Halle Berry. But chances are, she's going to end up looking like me.
What do you think you'll end up looking like? (A picture would help.)
I can only hope that i will age as gracefully and handsomely as my maternal grandfather, or my father-in-law.  However i think it is going to be more like Statler and Waldorf - those two hecklers from the Muppet Show.

6. I grew up in a time when it would never have occurred to anyone to tell me there was anything I couldn't do.
Has anyone told you that you could not do something?
Way back when i first joined the Army National Guard, i remember being pretty gung-ho.  On my first Annual Training cycle we trained with a team from the 82nd Airborne division.  I wanted to go full time that summer, but the full timers were less than encouraging.  Essentially they mocked and told me that i couldn't do it.  I never did go full time, though i am OK with that.  I like where i am at in life.

7. I want Carl Sagan to explain the sky to me.
Is there anybody dead that you'd like to talk to?
I would love to talk to Peter, James, or John - the disciples of Jesus.  I would also love to talk to the woman who poured the Alabaster jar of perfume to anoint Jesus and washed his feet with her tears.  Lazerus would be an interest evening, especially in the company of Mary and Martha.  These are the ones that immediately jumped to my mind.  As Jesus has risen from the dead... that is the reason He is not on the list.  8)

8. If every American donated five hours a week, it would equal the labor of 20 million full-time volunteers.
Have you ever done volunteer work?
I have, but not as much as i should.  I have assisted with coaching soccer teams, i have helped with some church projects.  My life right now is mostly spent working with my children and getting them where they need to be, etc. Although, i am slowly getting back into some things here and there as i include my oldest... well, to be honest... he is including me.  8)

9. It's being willing to walk away that gives you strength and power - if you're willing to accept the consequences of doing what you want to do.
Have you ever walked away from a job and regretted it?
Several actually.  The first one that comes to mind was the summer i spent working with a pool re-plastering company.  Being the low man on the totem pole i spent my days on the back of the truck busting bags into the mixing machine that weighed between 80 and 120 pounds.  That was hot, dusty work, but i actually enjoyed it.  One day, i just stopped going.  Another was as a shipping and receiving clerk for a machinery testing company.  That was a cake job, decent pay, not very hard work.  Again, one day i just stopped going. Unfortunately there were others as well.  That is what steered me towards the National Guard eventually because potential employers began noticing a trend in my job history.

10. Normal is in the eye of the beholder.
Are you normal? Explain.

Of course i am normal, it's all you other wackos out there that are not.  8)  I once heard a good quote.  Everyone in the world is insane.  Why else would we walk through life that we do.  It's the people who have been institutionalized that have had their eyes open and see the world for how it really is.  Personally, i don't subscribed to that point of view, but it made me chuckle.  We each mold ourselves on our perception of 'normal'.  We see the world through our individual lenses (even as members of a group, we still have unique points of view) and respond as we have learned, or trained ourselves, to.  "Normal" is only a median of a particular group of people.



No comments: