20110317

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

While i am not Irish, nor where any of my ancestors (that i am currently aware of), i am married to a beautiful Irish redhead.  So, i am Irish by marriage.  8)  However, that does not mean i am fully aware of all of the traditions and such that surround this holiday.  Not too long ago i got chewed out for stating something about corn beef and cabbage being a traditional meal.  Whatever, all i know is that my wife and her family like to eat it on St. Patrick's Day.  I was going to wear orange today, because i had been told that Catholics wear green and Protestants wear orange in their show of support for the day, but when my beloved caught wind of it i was told in pretty definitive terms that i was to wear green and NOT orange.  LOL, so... i have green on... but i am orange on the inside.  8)  I am listening to my Celtic Folk Pandora station today.  Ok, i listen to it most days, but it counts today.

On that note:  I once sought out an Irish Pub when i was staying overnight during a Guard drill.  I called well in advance of my stay and asked if they were going to be having a live band playing on the night in question.  I was assured that they were.  So, that evening i went and got there early, selected a prime spot, outside of the direct sound-wave cone, and ordered my meal.  When the band took the stage, did they play foot tappin', fiddle and whistle, tunes!?!  Nope!  They were playing classic rock songs!  Wow... talk about disappointment.  The best experience i have ever had in an Irish Pub was at Kevin Barry's in Savannah, GA.  I cannot recommend this place highly enough.  Both times i visited were great.  Great food, great drink, great music.
Go raibh tú daibhir i mí-áidh
Agus saibhir i mbeannachtaí
Go mall ag déanamh namhaid, go luath a déanamh carad,
Ach saibhir nó daibhir, go mall nó go luath,
Nach raibh ach áthas agat
Ón lá seo amach.

May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings,
Slow to make enemies,
quick to make friends,
But rich or poor, quick or slow,
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.



No comments: