20100111

The Way of Walking with Christ - based on a work of Miyamoto Musashi

18) Do not be intent on possessing valuables or a fief in old age.
This ties in to the gathering of wealth and possessions.  While God knows the end from the beginning, we do not know all that God has in store.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare [2] and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.(Jeremiah (29:11, ESV)

Of the twelve disciples, including Paul, only one lived to be an "old man", and he was exiled to the island of Pátmos.  So what do we have to look forward to, assuming God allows us to see "old age"?
Then Peter said in reply, “See, we have left everything and followed you. What then will we have?”  Jesus said to them, Truly, I say to you, in the new world, [2] when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.  And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold [3] and will inherit eternal life. (Matthew 19:27-29, ESV)

While we will not be sitting on thrones in judgment over the twelve tribes of Israel like the disciples are told in this example, we do have a place to live to live out eternity.
"Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; [1] believe also in me.  In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? [2]  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.  And you know the way to where I am going. [3]  Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?”  Jesus said to him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. [4] From now on you do know him and have seen him. (John 14:1-7, ESV)
What better promise do we really need?

No comments: