20070124

Our brother's keeper

Of late I have been thinking about this. I have always known that in order to grow in Christ that I need to be discipled. That I needed to seek out others within the body of Christ. To learn with, to talk about the things of God with, to come alongside and encourage and be encouraged, to - on occasion - talk to them about something I am concerned about (i.e. a sin I think they may be doing) and for them to do the same to me. But this is much easier said than done. I know I have had problems getting consistant fellowship with other men. I am by no means blaming all the other men that God has brought into my life. I know I am as much to blame (if not more) for our lack of fellowship. It is also hard to get others to hold me accountable. There is also a sense of my own responsibility in this as well. Secrets are sometimes easily kept and unless I am maintaining fellowship and being open with others it would be hard for them to know anything different. Some very big men in the faith have tumbled because of these kinds of things. Another is people (in general) do not want to be held accountable. "Judge not and you will not be judged" is a verse I often hear quoted. There are entire ministries based on these precepts. I guess I want more than just mediocrity. I know that I will not reach my full potential unless I have other men (and at least one woman) in my life to help me see my blind spots (both natural and constructed). And I want to be used of God to help others. And it is a Biblical concept (read 1 Corinthians 5:12)... but just as all things of God it can be abused. Entire periods of history are overshadowed by extremism - the crusades, the inquisition... but the same verse that shows me to be my brothers keeper also shows me that I am not to do the same with those outside of the body. May God bring each of us to a level of humility that we are able to give and receive correction without pride getting in our way. The ultimate goal is not to elivate ourselves over our brothers and sisters, but to help one another grown and conform into the image of our Lord and Savior. There can be no higher aspiration... Verse for today: 1 Corinthians 5:9-13, ESV I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges [2] those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.”

No comments: