20080624

Day 1 of returning to 'normal'

What is normal anyway? :D

What a crazy eighteen days. For fifteen of them I was on the last two week annual training of my military career. I tried to relax and just enjoy them (all the while making sure I performed the duties required of me and the position I held - that of First Sergeant). And for the most part I did.

The first week was brutally hot. Heat indexes routinely over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. A day on the rifle range here, preparation for section certifications, etc. Except for the heat it was a pretty good week. Some disappointment came when the Captain and I were informed that we would only be able to certify two gun sections and not the three we had hoped, and pushed, for. We firmly believed we could have done it, but when the Battalion tells you that they are uncomfortable with your proposal... there's not much you can do. Still, we were the first battery to certify a section, first gun to fire, most number of rounds fired... it was very satisfying. There were two minor, and one major, downers. The two minors were fairly minor injuries (one ankle, the other a nasty gash to a finger that got caught in the breech of a howitzer), and the major was a UCMJ type deal. I won't elaborate on the latter.

I have taken a couple of rolls of film, but it is going to take me a few days to get them developed. I plan on getting them put on a picture disc as well (because of the number of requests from others in the unit to share), so it will be easier to post them here to share later.

Well, I am going to wrap this up for today. I hope to catch up on all my blogging friend's blogs later today.
Verse for today:
Psalm 118 : 19-24, ESV
Open to me the gates of righteousness,
that I may enter through them
and give thanks to the Lord.
This is the gate of the Lord;
the righteous shall enter through it.
I thank you that you have answered me
and have become my salvation.
The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone. [2]
This is the Lord's doing;
it is marvelous in our eyes.
This is the day that the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.

1 comment:

Amy L Buitendyk said...

Good to have you back home and in the blogging world!